I learn so many lessons from my children. It's funny that I'm the parent, charged with the task of teaching them, but they teach me as much by being the wonderful, spirited little people they are. Each of them are so different and handle and experience the world in very different ways.
My 16 month old is transitioning from an infant to a toddler. As an infant, she needed me for everything. Her attachment to me and her love for me were based solely on my ability to provide for her needs. She was happy to see me and wanted me, but only because I'm the one who gave her food when she was hungry, comforted her when she got hurt, gave her security when she was fearful, and changed her when her diaper was dirty. That hasn't changed. She still needs me for all those things.
I love providing for her needs and I welcome her into my arms when she comes to me with a need, even if it's only attention or love that she needs. On a few occasions, recently, she has shown her affection for no apparent reason with an unexpected hug, pat on the back, or kiss on the cheek. I can't even describe the warmth that it brings to me when she comes to me for no other reason than to show affection for me.
I think God, as our father, probably feels the same way. He takes pleasure in meeting our needs and hears our every request, but I'm sure it thrills Him when we come to Him with no other purpose than to give Him our love and affection. As a result, I am trying to spend less time giving Him a laundry list of requests and needs and more time just expressing my love for Him.
I love this Holly, so true and wonderful, how God uses little children to teach us his awesome principles. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete