I love my new bathroom. I love it. If it were a little bigger, I would consider putting in a chair and just hanging out in there. I enjoy running my fingers over the new glass tile backsplash and the curved front of the countertop. Whenever I walk in, I smile. I feel peaceful, calm, and comfortable. A few months ago, that room had the opposite effect on me. I felt frustrated, annoyed, and stressed out. If you've ever been through a major remodel that you have done without the help of contractors, you probably know what I mean. It is a process; a long process.
I started the process back in March. I was tired of the outdated fixtures and wasted space. I pretty much hated that bathroom. For years I had been dreaming of double sinks and real tile (instead of the stick-on vinyl tiles we had). I saved some money and decided it was finally time. I picked out a color scheme and began pricing materials. The design phase was definitely the most fun for me. I enjoy picking out colors and textures and imagining them in a space. The actual work part was less fun but more rewarding. I did some of it myself with the help of my dad and my husband. My dad built the beautiful vanity, mirror frame, and towel cabinet above the toilet. He plumbed the second sink and did all the wiring for the second light fixture. He put in an exhaust fan and put up all the towel bars. My husband tiled the floor and installed the new toilet. I did the glass tile backsplash and painted. My dad and husband also installed a new vinyl window.
Because we have 3 kids and jobs, the process was only finished a few weeks ago. Each step seemed to take forever, especially during the summer when many of our weekends were spent camping. The length of time it took was frustrating for me. I mean, when you have a vision in your mind of how things are going to look, it's hard to be patient and wait for things to get finished. The other part that was frustrating was not being able to use the room during certain steps of the process...and it's a vital room, if you know what I mean. So, we spent weeks of having to go downstairs to use the bathroom or the shower.
In the end, I am so pleased with the results. It was worth the frustration and waiting period. During the whole process, I thought about how God sort of remodels us, when we give our lives to him. We become new creations according to 2 Corinthians 5. He tears out all the old thinking and old habits and creates a new person. One that is is full of peace and joy and is washed clean. Sometimes it takes longer than we'd like, but God will not be rushed. He has a plan and wants each step done just right. Sometimes, we can't figure out what God is doing, or why he is doing it a certain way, but we can be sure the end result will be spectacular; better that we could ever imagine or ask for.
I am not quite finished, (I'd like to make some curtains and replace the shower fixtures...among other things) I know God's not done with me yet, either. I'm so glad, aren't you?
I enjoy your blogs Holly, God is so much apart of your writing, your learning and your response. You encourage and inspire me.
ReplyDelete