Even though my youngest is about to turn one, I still feel like I am adjusting to having three kids, running a household, and working part time. Sometimes I feel like my life is spinning out of control and therefore gave up trying to control it. Clutter now reigns, my savings has shrunk considerably as we spend beyond our means, and my exercise, quiet time with God, and time working on my novel are sporadic at best.
Recently I came to a point where I had to say enough is enough. I turned to the only One who can restore order out of chaos and gave it all to Him. I gave him my finances, my time, my health, my long to do list, and my frustrations. Slowly, I have felt my faith grow and my fear and frustration subside. In the absence of fear and frustration, I saw my situation more clearly. I realized that while I am trusting God to help me find balance, He gave me an intelligent mind and the ability to move forward and change some things.
Since money and disorganization have been the heaviest weight in my mind, I decided to start there. I immediatly did 4 things.
1)I put myself on a spending freeze. No buying anything that isn't absolutely necessary. I decided to get creative and cook what is in my freezer and see how long it lasts me. I need to defrost the freezer anyway and with hunting season around the corner, now's the time to empty some things out of it. When I needed to get my daughter a pale blue leotard for dance, I visited thrift stores and found one for $1.50. Gas and food is about all I will allow myself to buy for awhile.
2)I went to the Library and checked out 2 books. One on organizing, decluttering and selling unwanted/unneeded items, and one on being thrifty and living better with less.
3)I went through my monthly bills and decided where things could be eliminated and money saved. I realized that we really don't use our home phone and so I cancelled it. Then I called for quotes for new policies for auto and home insurance and found a really good deal. I changed my netflix plan to streaming video only since usually the DVDs sit on our entertainment center for 2-3 weeks at a time. Finally, I cancelled another insurance policy that was not really worth the cost. Overall, I saved myself ~$800 per year.
4)I posted a couple of items on craigslist from our recent bathroom remodel. They have been sitting in various areas in my house, my bedroom, and my garage collecting dust and I decided to see if my cast offs are something someone else is willing to pay for.
This is just a start, but I am seeing how in just a few days, I have made some changes that will really make a difference. I am calling this WEEK 1 of my quest to thrive as I know God wants me too.
Week 1 money saved
$8.50 on leotard
$800 per year on insurance premiums and telephone bills
approximately $50 on groceries I would have bought.
For a grand total of $858.50
Not bad!
No comments:
Post a Comment